The cultivation of skill and diffusion of taste in music

Overview

Since its inception in 1820, the Musical Fund Society of Philadelphia has amassed a remarkable collection of music, programs and documentation concerning the Society’s history and governance. Much of this material is of considerable historical and artistic interest.

After the sale of the Musical Fund Hall in 1924, the collection was dispersed to a number of locations, notably the Free Library of Philadelphia and the Historical Society of Pennsylvania, but in 1991 all of the extant archives were donated to the Rare Book and Manuscript Library, at the University of Pennsylvania’s Van Pelt Library.